If you’re a freelancer who’s looking for work or a small business owner who’s looking to outsource your projects – you need a PLATFORM!
Here’s where freelance marketplaces like Fiverr and Upwork come into play.
Are you confused to choose the BEST platform between Fiverr vs Upwork? You’re in the right place.
In this post, you’ll discover important things like;
- The honest comparison between Fiverr and UpWork for freelancers (sellers)
- Comparison between Fiverr and UpWork for business owners (buyers)
- Pros and cons of both the platforms
- User reviews and ratings of these two platforms and much more
So are you ready? Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Fiverr vs Upwork: Which is the BEST Platform to Use in 2022?
What is Fiverr?
Fiverr is a popular online marketplace where you can buy and sell freelance services starting at only $5. Millions of freelancers use Fiverr to offer services in 300+ categories at affordable prices.
What is Upwork?
Upwork, formerly Elance-oDesk is one of thewhere you can discover and outsource services online. From app development to design to SEO, you can find and outsource almost every major online task.
Fiverr vs Upwork for Freelancers
In this section, let’s only talk about how these two platforms work for freelancers along with their commission structure.
So if you’re a freelancer who’s looking to earn money by offering services on UpWork or Fiverr, don’t skip this section.
How Does Fiverr Work for Freelancers?
Fiverr is totally free to use. However, Fiverr charges a FLAT 20% commission from every sale the seller is making.
Whether it’s a $5 gig or a $5000 gig, on every successful project completion, you’ll be charged a 20% flat commission rate (this goes to Fiverr).
For instance, for a $5 Gig, you’ll be charged with a $1 commission and for a $1000 Gig, you’ll be charged with a $200 commission.
Fiverr has the following four seller levels for every freelancer.
- New Seller (These are the new or inexperienced sellers)
- Level 1 seller (These sellers successfully complete 10 highly-rated gigs and have an active Fiverr account for at least 60 days)
- Level 2 seller (These sellers must successfully complete 50 highly-rated gigs and have an active Fiverr account for at least 120 days)
- Top-rated seller (These sellers seller must successfully complete 100 highly-rated gigs for a minimum of $20,000 and have an active Fiverr account for at least 180 days)
Top 3 Tips for Freelancers on Fiverr
Planning to use the Fiverr platform to find freelance gigs to make money? Here are the top 3 tips for freelancers who want to use Fiverr.
1. Create a short and high-quality video
According to research done by Fiverr, adding a brief and compelling video to your Gig on Fiverr can increase your orders by over 200%. Isn’t it great? So if you’re just getting started to sell on Fiverr, make sure to spend some time and money on creating a high-quality video that explains what your gig is all about.
The best way to attract more customers is to always overdeliver. Find ways to go beyond $5. If someone’s paying you $5 for a gig, deliver something that’s worth 5x more value. That’s how you attract better reviews and ratings from real customers.
3. Promote your gigs well
Fiverr is a HUGE platform where one can find millions of services at cheaper prices. If you’re new to Fiverr as a freelancer, it’s extremely important to promote your gigs. Use social media sites, business cards, email lists, forums, Q & A platforms like Quora, YouTube, and more to promote your gigs to attract clients.
How Does Upwork Work for Freelancers?
Upwork uses a commission-based fee structure and it charges up to 20% commission.
Here’s UpWork’s commission fee structure for freelancers.
- Upwork takes 20% commission if your client’s billing is up to the first $500
- Upwork takes 10% commission if your client’s billing is between $500.01 – $10,000
- Upwork takes 5% commission if your client’s billing is $10,000 or more
What’s the bottom line? The more you earn from your client, the smaller the UpWork commission fee.
Upwork has the following four seller levels for every freelancer.
- Rising Talent (who’re new to Upwork and no Job Success Score is required
- Top Rated (freelancers who have a Job Success Score of at least 90%)
- Top Rated Plus (freelancers who have $10k+ in total earnings over the last 12 months)
- Expert-Vetted (freelancers who’ve gone through a thorough pre-screening by experts in their field and they represent the top 1% of talent on Upwork)
Verdict: Upwork is better and cheaper when it comes to commission as Upwork charges as little as 5% commission from freelancers whereas Fiverr charges a FLAT 20% commission on all successful projects completion from its freelancers.
Top 3 Tips for Freelancers on Upwork
Thinking about using the Upwork platform to find freelance projects to make extra money? Here are the 3 essential tips for freelancers who’re planning to use Upwork.
1. Find your niche: Upwork is known for rewarding freelancers who offer quality services. If you want to become a top-rated seller, make sure to offer services in a specific niche (for instance “email marketing writing services”). That way you can attract specific buyers where you can deliver quality work.
2. Show your expertise: If you already have experience in your industry, Upwork is a better platform to join as it helps you with high-paying clients. Make sure to build a portfolio and share work samples on your portfolio page on Upwork to show your expertise.
3. Be patient: It’s really difficult to get your first job on sites like Upwork. Be patient. Craft a compelling portfolio and set your prices competitively to attract more jobs on Upwork.
Fiverr vs Upwork for Buyers (Business Owners)
Fiverr and Upwork are both great platforms to outsource your services as a buyer or business owner. In this section, we’ll talk about how one can use Fiverr and Upwork effectively as a buyer.
How Does Fiverr Work for Buyers?
Fiverr is one of the best platforms to find affordable freelancer sellers who offer a ton of freelance services. Is Fiverr safe for buyers? Yes, absolutely.
Here’s how to join Fiverr;
as a buyer.
As you can see above, you can either create an account with Facebook, Google, Apple or use your email account. It’s free to join their platform.
There are many people who can scam you or waste your money if you’re not careful. So here are a few quick tips for buyers who’re using Fiverr.
Contact the seller before buying ANY gig: The best thing about Fiverr is that it allows buyers to contact the sellers or freelancers before placing any order. That way you can save time and money. You can get in touch with any freelancer if you find their gig useful.
Even if you find the right gig, it’s always a good idea to contact multiple sellers before placing an order. On every gig, you’ll find the option to Contact Seller. Once you click on it, a popup window will show up where you can send any queries you’ve.
Here’s what it looks like;
As you can see above, you can send a message directly to the seller (freelancer) where you can include things like;
- Project description
- Specific instructions related to the project
- Relevant files
- Your budget and more
Use only one account: According to Fiverr terms and conditions, you can only use one account as a buyer. Don’t create too many accounts or it might result in disabling all your accounts.
Don’t place big orders in the beginning: If you’re new to Fiverr, don’t place HUGE orders. Learn how to find better freelancers at affordable prices and place smaller orders in the beginning. Once you find the right freelancers, you can contact them regularly to place bigger orders.
How Does Upwork Work for Buyers?
When it comes to finding better freelancers, Upwork has a great network when compared to Fiverr. If you want quality, you can consider Upwork over Fiverr.
Here’s how to join Upwork;
for the Upwork platform as a buyer;
As you can see above, joining Upwork is free. You can use your Google or Apple account or you can simply continue with an email to create an account on Upwork.
Just like Fiverr, you can encounter low-quality freelancers on UpWork as well, Here are some of the best tips to use Upwork like a pro as a buyer.
Post a job and wait for the proposals: Using Upwork, you can post a job and hire talent. Talented freelancers will respond to your jobs and send you proposals. Based on your requirements and budget, you can pick suitable freelancers.
Analyze profiles: Before placing an order on Upwork, it’s a better idea to check profiles, portfolios, and reviews. Once you find a freelancer, check the ratings and reviews from other people who’ve placed orders from that freelancer to gauge their work.
Fiverr vs Upwork: Pros & Cons
This detailed Upwork vs Fiverr comparison will be incomplete without talking about their pros and cons. So let’s find them out now.
Fiverr Pros & Cons:
- A well-known freelance marketplace to find a ton of gigs as a freelancer to make money
- Totally free to join
- Offers project-based pricing
- Fiverr provides buyers with chargeback and seller protections
- Your payment isn’t released until you approve the work
- It’s really difficult to get the first gig (or project) on Fiverr as it has a ton of freelancers offering cheaper services
- 20% service fee and $10,000 project cap for freelancers
Upwork Pros & Cons:
- Upwork provides higher-paying projects for freelancers (when compared to Fiverr)
- For business owners, Upwork helps you find better quality projects than Fiverr
- You can specify what you want to charge for a project
- Upwork offers hourly and fixed-price payment protections
- Faster payments on hourly contracts for freelancers
- Access to premium customer support which includes phone and chat support
- No cost until you hire which means you’ll only pay for work you approve
- A higher fee as Upwork charges its freelancers up to 20% commission
- It’s difficult to get your first client
Upwork vs Fiverr: Reviews & User Ratings
What do other users think about Fiverr and Upwork? Let’s find the user ratings of both these freelance platforms.
Fiverr ratings on G2;
As you can see above, on the G2 platform, Fiverr got 4.3 out of 5-star ratings from over 140 users.
Fiverr ratings on Trustpilot;
As you can see above, on the Trustpilot platform, Fiverr got 4 out of 5-star ratings from over 6200 users.
Upwork ratings on G2;
As you can see above, on the G2 platform, Upwork got 4.6 out of 5-star ratings from over 1700 users (higher and better ratings than Fiverr).
Upwork ratings on Trustpilot;
As you can see above, on the Trustpilot platform, Fiverr got 4.5 out of 5-star ratings from over 7100 users which is far better than Fiverr reviews.
Verdict: When it comes to user satisfaction and customer ratings, Upwork is a clear winner when compared to Fiverr on major review platforms.
Our Honest Verdict on Fiverr & Upwork
So which is better: Fiverr or Upwork?
Honestly, the question is NOT which is better. Should you look for freelancing projects on such platforms is the REAL question.
Or should you outsource your projects on such freelance marketplaces as a business owner?
It depends. If you’ve never tried these platforms, you should probably give them a try as they’re really affordable.
As a business owner, if you REALLY want high-quality work, you should probably hire an expert to do the job for you.
As a freelancer, use these platforms to build your portfolio and gain some experience quickly. Once you have a portfolio, you canand start attracting high-paying clients.
We HONESTLY feel that these freelancer market platforms don’t offer much value as there’s TOO much competition. They should be used only to outsource small tasks such as logo design, image editing, blog post publishing, etc.
It’s always better to build your own team or hire an expert if you really want top-notch work. If you’re a freelancer, start a blog, build a portfolio and attract better clients instead of depending on Fiverr or Upwork.
FAQs On Fiverr & Upwork
Here are some of the frequently asked questions around Fiverr and Upwork.
What is the difference between Fiverr and Upwork?
Fiverr is a great platform where you can find cheaper freelancers who offer services starting at just $5 whereas Upwork provides you access to better quality freelancers but costs you more.
Is Fiverr good for beginners?
If you’re a freelancer who’s looking for an easy-to-use platform to sell your services, Fiverr is definitely a good platform. You can use Fiverr to offer digital services such as writing, design, accounting, etc starting only at $5.
How much does Upwork charge its freelancers?
Upwork charges up to 20% commission. Upwork charges 20% commission on the billing of up to $500, 10% commission if the billing is between $500 to $10,000, and 5% commission if your client’s billing is $10,000 or more.
How much does Fiverr take from its freelancers?
Fiverr takes a flat 20% commission on all orders (no matter the Gig size) from its freelancers. So if you successfully complete a $100 order, you’ll get $80 and $20 goes to Fiverr as a commission.
Is Upwork free for buyers?
You’ll be charged a 3% fee on all payments whenever you order a project.
Few more related articles:
Final thoughts on which is better: Fiverr vs Upwork
Both Fiverr and Upwork are the biggest platforms to find freelance projects or affordable services if you’re a business owner. Both platforms are trusted and used by the biggest brands and millions of people across the world.
We suggest you create an account on both these platforms. Offer your services on both platforms if you’re a freelancer and see what’s working best for you. Similarly, create a free account on these two platforms as a buyer and find out which platform provides you the best value for your money.
So what are your thoughts on Fiverr vs Upwork? Did you find this comparison useful? Have any questions? Let us know in the comments.
You Might Also Like: