Can ChatGPT write essays?
The short answer: Yes, ChatGPT can write essays.
However, the output of your essays depends ENTIRELY on the prompts (i.e., input) you provide. The better the prompts, the better the output.
The best part? It can write essays within a few seconds. The worst part? It can give you inaccurate and irrelevant information.
So if you’re looking for a free tutorial on how to use ChatGPT to write great essays EVERY single time, this post is for you. In this post, you’ll discover;
- Pros and cons of using ChatGPT to write essays
- 5 PROVEN ways to write high-quality essays using ChatGPT
- Real-life examples and more
Whether you’re a college student or someone who wants to write good essays for your projects, this tutorial reveals some of the BEST practices.
Are you ready? Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Pros and Cons of Using ChatGPT to Write Essays
Here are some of the pros and cons of writing essays with ChatGPT
- Saves a TON of time, as it can help you with research on ANY topic and generates essays within a few seconds.
- It can help you brainstorm ideas for your essays.
- It can help you with BETTER writing by correcting errors, suggesting alternative phrases, and offering feedback on your essays and writing tone.
- You can create multiple versions (drafts) of your essays within a few minutes using ChatGPT.
- It can generate inaccurate and false information.
- Tools like ChatGPT often produce similar output for most of the topics. It can eventually lead to plagiarism of text.
- With , you can’t create EPIC essays, no matter what prompts you use. People who spend more time researching a topic can create MUCH better essays.
How to Use ChatGPT to Write Good Essays: 5 Tips
Be clear about what you want
The first step is to identify your essay writing goals with ChaGPT.
What EXACTLY are you going to achieve by using ChatGPT?
Are you looking for help with;
- Topic ideas for your essays
- Essay outlining
- Or writing essays from scratch?
The good thing about ChatGPT is that it can create whatever you want.
It can create blog posts for you.
Here’s an example;
As you can see, it instantly generated a blog post on the topic mentioned. You can use prompts like “Create a blog post on a topic [X], with [X amount of words], use a friendly tone.”
The output depends on the prompt you provide. So you need to provide relevant and detailed prompts to generate high-quality blog posts.
The same is the case with the essays. You can create any essay you want.
Have a look;
See that? It created an easy-to-read essay on the given topic instantly. If you’re unhappy with the output, you can click on the “Regenerate” button, and ChatGPT will create another version for you. You can keep generating new outputs until you’re satisfied.
Use it as an assistant
Here’s the thing about AI tools like ChatGPT: They can NEVER create 100% original content, such as essays.
ChatGPT uses deep language models to go through information from the web and other sources.
These tools need human touch and creativity to make the output better.
So… use it as an essay writing assistant instead of a replacement for your own writing.
It can be a helpful starting point, but you should ALWAYS edit and proofread your essays before submitting them.
If you’re wondering why you shouldn’t use ChatGPT to write an entire essay, here are a few reasons.
- AI tools like ChatGPT are still in the early stages of development. They get better only with time. That’s why it is essential to proofread and edit any text generated by ChatGPT.
- Yes, ChatGPT can help you with ideas and generating text, but they often lack the human touch and creativity. These two things are essential if you want to write epic essays.
You can consider ChatGPT as an online fitness trainer. It can suggest you all the tips you need to get fit, but it cannot replace the REAL skills and experience of a physical trainer.
Give better prompts
The quality of your essays depends on the prompts you give.
If you master the art of giving clear and specific prompts – you can write AMAZING essays using ChatGPT.
Here are some of the valuable prompts you can use for writing essays.
- “Discuss the impact of [topic X] on our daily lives, highlighting both positive and negative aspects.”
- “Examine the role of [topic X] in shaping the future job market.”
- “Evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of [topic X].”
All the above prompts can be edited and refined according to your essay writing needs.
In case you need more prompts, you can ask ChatGPT to provide prompts for essays and it will generate those prompts for you.
Have a look;
See that? Not only does ChatGPT help you generate essays but it can also provide you what prompts to use to write those essays. Isn’t it impressive?
Edit and proofread
Editing and proofreading your essays is extremely important.
Why? Because they can help you to improve the overall quality of your essays.
Yes, ChatGPT can create content without grammatical mistakes.
But… you should always proofread and check the essays generated by ChatGPT for their accuracy.
If you’re wondering, here are a few ways ChatGPT can help you while writing essays.
- It can quickly identify common grammar and spelling errors in your essays
- It can generate better sentences or offer suggestions to improve grammar
- ChatGPT can help you improve the structure of your sentences and overall text
- It can rewrite existing sentences for you to make your essays concise
- Above all, it can improve your overall writing and tone
For better output, we recommend using tools like, which can offer better grammar suggestions while writing essays.
Use ChatGPT for grammar and sentences
The best way to use ChatGPT for essays is to use it for sentence rewriting and grammar correction.
Yes, ChatGPT can help you with grammar correction and sentence formation within your essays.
You can use the existing content from your essays and ask ChatGPT to rewrite it for you.
Here’s what it looks like;
See that? You can also create multiple versions of any text until you’re happy with the output.
Similarly, you can ask ChatGPT to fix grammar within your essays.
Have a look at the example;
As you can see, it can instantly find and fix the grammar in your text. So if you’re looking for an easy way to fix your grammar and sentences in essays – ChatGPT is an excellent tool for you.
Essay Writing Alternatives to ChatGPT: Our Favorite Picks
ChatGPT is good, but there are two BEST alternatives which are;
- Jasper AI
- Google Bard
Let’s briefly discuss them so you can pick the right one to write essays.
1. Jasper: This is our favorite pick for writing great essays. It comes with a built-in grammar and plagiarism checker.
It offers many features like;
- It offers over 50 copywriting templates, including blog posts, product descriptions, marketing copy, social media posts and more. You can also create essays using it.
- It offers a built-in plagiarism tool, so you can always check if the content is original.
- It can easily create paragraphs or summarizes the text
- Above all, you can set the tone of your content, select your preferred language (such as English), the length of your sentences, etc to write essays
Unlike ChatGPT, Jasper is NOT a free tool, as it’s available in the following pricing plans.
- Creator plan costs $39 per month and you’ll get access to 50+ copywriting templates, 1 user seat, and more
- Teams plan costs $99 per month and you’ll get collaboration access, 3 user seats, etc.
- Business plan offers custom pricing depending on your content and SEO needs
It also offers a free trial which you can grab from the following link.
Quick note: We’ve been using Jasper for a couple of years and its features as only getting better with time. It’s especially useful for students who want to generate unique and relevant essays for their projects. You can read ourto find its tutorial.
2. Bard from Google: If you’re looking for a free and better alternative to ChatGPT, Bard is an excellent choice. We tried both these tools, but Bard always generates BETTER output.
Google Bard uses a large language model (LLM) that can be used to write essays. Bard offers the following features;
- Bard is available in over 40 new languages, meaning you can create essays in many languages.
- It can cite sources in your essays, which is a fantastic feature, as you’ll know where the content is coming from
- You can upload images alongside text in your conversations with Bard (which is helpful for finding more information about an image while writing essays)
- It can read responses out loud as it has text-to-speech capabilities
- You can pick up where you left off with your past Bard conversations while writing essays.
FAQs | Future of Essay Writing With AI
Here are some FAQs on essay writing with ChatGPT.
ChatGPT is not plagiarism broadly, as it does NOT copy-paste articles or web pages from other sources online. However, it rehashes content from multiple sources. It’s NOT 100% accurate either, so the output generated by ChatGPT is not original.
Yes, you can use ChatGPT for writing essays. But if you’re using it for academic purposes, we DO NOT recommend writing the entire essay. You can use it to generate essay ideas, outlines, and even some paragraphs of text.
Yes, you can use ChatGPT to reword your essay, but it is important to cross-check the output for any corrections. Also, make sure the content it writes is accurate and unique from other sources.
You can use the following ChatGPT alternatives to write essays.
– Google Bard AI
– Jasper AI
You can use free tools like Gold Penguin’s AI Detector, Sapling tool, etc., to identify if ChatGPT generates content. However, these tools are not always accurate as they can also show original content as AI content (sometimes).
Yes, it can. However, you need to add your own points, theories, and paragraphs to make it totally unique, as ChatGPT mostly gives you content from the web. Also, check if the content is accurate.
First things first: ChatGPT is NOT an essay-writing tool. It’s an AI assistant that can be used for various tasks, including text generation, translation, chatbots, and more. However, you can use it to get ideas, outlines and paragraphs to write essays.
Yes, you can use tools like ChatGPT for essays.
But, if you plan to use those essays for academic purposes or research, do not use ChatGPT to write the entire essay. It can be considered plagiarism as ChatGPT can generate rehashed content, and sometimes the output is inaccurate.
You should always use AI tools to generate ideas, write essay outlines, and get assistance writing a few paragraphs. What are your thoughts? Are you going to use ChatGPT for essays? If you’ve any questions, let us know in the comments.